BIOSCI not in Science ... :-(

Tue Apr 20 16:07:37 EST 1993

> Dave Kristofferson <kristoff at net.bio.net> writes:
>
> >[...] (1) that many biologists are not aware of
> >network resources such as BIOSCI; (2) how useful BIOSCI/gopher/WAIS
>
> Isn't that "USENET/gopher/WAIS"?  BIOSCI is the provider of e-mail
> subscriptions to a small domain of Usenet newsgroups.  It is not
> unique, and it's not a resource so much as a service provider.  To be
> fair, why not include the LTERnet and EMBLnet domains of Usenet, with
> their associated e-mail subscription services.  And perhaps also the
> inet and bit.listserv domains, particularly the bit.listserv one.
> And why not mention the many other biology-related mailing lists,
> whether having gates to Usenet or not, rather than just the few
> administered by BIOSCI?

Una's missives get a bit tiresome after a while, and I am getting to
the point where I don't think I am going to bother to respond to them
any more after this.  She can bash me freely from here on out and
question the usefulness of my role to her heart's content.  I have too
many things to do than to waste my time responding to her continual
harangues.

I think that it is pretty obvious that one article in Science will
have as much impact as hundreds of individual seminars.  I do, of
course, encourage all of you to talk about network resources in your
departments as evidenced by the fact of my earlier messages to this
effect and my putting up the slides that I used in San Diego for use
by others.  Those slides include demonstrations not only of BIOSCI but
also of Don Gilbert's gopher facilities and information retrieval via
gopher from NCBI.  No, I don't talk about everyone on the network
going back to Adam and Eve, but I don't focus solely on myself as Una
likes to imply with great regularity.

I would still appreciate it if others would write letters to Science
as suggested.  Despite Una's attack on BIOSCI/bionet, I think that the
readers are convinced of its usefulness; in fact I know it based on
the mail that I receive daily.  When you get right down to it there is
only *ONE* thing about BIOSCI that I don't like .......
      ---
				Sincerely,

				Dave Kristofferson
				BIOSCI/bionet Manager