"The" fish atlas for economic stimulus

Julian Humphries jmh3 at cornell.edu
Thu Apr 22 13:52:37 EST 1993

> >If you find the people responsible get them to put the fish atlas on
the
> >Internet!  Apply a WAIS server and/or a Gopher server to the graphics
and
> >the text, I bet you'd end up with something plenty of people on the net
> >would use.
> >
> >Think of all those new fish for screen savers :)
> >
> >  Edward Vielmetti, vice president for research, Msen Inc. emv at Msen.com
> >Msen Inc., 628 Brooks, Ann Arbor MI  48103 +1 313 998 4562 (fax: 998
4563)

and

> <the result of a little gophering - Limbaugh obviously can't get beyond
> reading his mail on Compu$erve>>
>

> Subj:	Neodat Newsletter No. 1, 16 April 1992
>
> |=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=|
> |                                                                     |
> | N    N  EEEEEE   OOOOO   DDDDD    AAAA   TTTTTTTTT                  |
> | N N  N  E       O     O  D    D  A    A      T                      |
> | N  N N  EEEEEE  O     O  D    D  AAAAAA      T        NEWS          |
> | N   NN  E       O     O  D    D  A    A      T                      |
> | N    N  EEEEEE   OOOOO   DDDDD   A    A      T                      |
> |                                                                     |
> |=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=|

Well, I feel the need to comment on this, even though it means using a
Mac to
access net news (enlightened Cornell doesn't support news posting from
lowly
PC's).  As one of the PI's of the NEODAT project here is a bit more
detail.

First of all Neodat is a kind of "fish atlas" but, alas, the 3.1 million
ain't
ours. For about a tenth of that we are compiling a database of all records
of fishes from the Neotropics, providing computers and database software
for fish
collections in 8 Latin American countries, writing GIS software for
accessing the
database and providing jobs for at least a few people.

To Ed's request for a wais index, you bet.  All of the data will be
gopherized
and put on the Biodiversity gopher at Harvard.  No images for a while
though.  In
the mean time, I am putting up an identification guide to freshwater fish
families
of eastern north america (at no expense to the US taxpayer).  This does
include
a few images (pre-copyright, so do with them as you please).  It will
show up on
the Biodiversity gopher real soon now.

Finally, I would be happy to build a fish atlas of the US for only $2.9
million
and promise to create one hundred new jobs with the money (well, for one
year at
least).