Gateways, mailing lists and the 3rd World

rybicki at uctvax.uct.ac.za rybicki at uctvax.uct.ac.za
Mon Apr 26 04:42:28 EST 1993

My 6c' worth (2 US = 6 SA): All this talk of gateways, and LISTSERVs, and
USENET, and the Third World...we get a USENET feed, and most (not all) of
the BIONET groups are on it - and the dwell time of the posts is so short,
if you don't log in for a couple of days, you lose half the traffic in a
week! We are regarded as having a sophisticated setup, the envy of most of
the rest of Africa, and if we have a problem with USENET, I'd hate to see
what happens elsewhere outside of Europe and the US.

Stick with mailing lists, guys - that's how I get the BIONET groups not
included in our USENET feed, and how I manage to keep a database of methods
and info culled from those groups growing and updated.  If I had to rely
on getting it thru USENET on our mainframe, I would have given up in disgust
a long time ago.
|  Ed Rybicki                     |    Now you've got the hang of it      |
|  Dept Microbiology              | There's nothing you can't do with it  |
|  University of Cape Town        |         If you're very into it        |
|  PB Rondebosch 7700             |         You can't go wrong....        |
|  South Africa                   |                                       |
|  fax 27 21 650 4023             |              - Mad John               |
|  ed at micro.uct.ac.za             | (Ogden's Nut-Gone Flake, Small Faces) |