bionet.faq. Was: Whether bionet/BIOSCI in the "modern" world?

John Nash nash at biologysx.lan.nrc.ca
Tue Apr 27 13:16:57 EST 1993

In article <1rjeopINNfi8 at MINERVA.CIS.YALE.EDU> smith-una at yale.edu (Una Smith) writes:
>From: smith-una at yale.edu (Una Smith)
>Subject: Re: Whether bionet/BIOSCI in the "modern" world?
>Date: 27 Apr 1993 10:08:23 -0400

>Also, there are a number of LISTSERV features that I'd like for the BIOSCI
>lists, including automatic distribution of files when updates are received
>(sort of a custom periodic subscription separate from the mailing list).
>This would be good for distribution of long documents.  I am still not
>comfortable distributing my 20 page FAQ to the bionet.general e-mail
>subscribers each month.  They should have the option of specifying whether
>they want to receive updates or not.  This feature could of course be used
>by Usenet readers as well.  I'd also like to be able to see who the e-mail
>subscribers are, or how many there are, or get a copy of the charter for
>only the group I'm interested in.

You may just have something there.  A "bionet.faq" news may be a
feasible proposition.  It may need to be moderated to block the "I need
to..." questions better answered in bionet.general, and may even have
automated posting of FAQs, unless they are altered.  Una's, Paul's, Dan's,
Rob's, Dave's, <etc> FAQs could be posted there.

cheers, John

John Nash                           | Email: Nash at biologysx.lan.nrc.ca.
Institute for Biological Sciences,  | National Research Council of Canada,
Cell Physiology Group.              | Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.