Biosci document access (was Rether bionet/BIOSCI in the "modern" world?

Edward Vielmetti emv at garnet.msen.com
Thu Apr 29 01:48:04 EST 1993

marder at agri.huji.ac.il wrote:

: What I envisage would be a gopher-type menu with e.g.:-
:     1.  Charters of Biosci newsgroups
:     2.  FAQs for Biosci
:     3.  Other biological newsgroups
:     4.  How to set up a new Biosci newsgroup

The 'gn' gopher server can also be set up to grep subsets of the newsgroups
on demand - so that rather than build an index for every possible sub
cross section of the net that you might want to search through every once
in a while, you can dynamically build a cross-section to run queries up
against.

Many's the time I've wanted just to ask the question
	Is there any newsgroup that's currently talking about <foo>
but the cost of always keeping up to date a full WAIS server for the
whole set of possible interest sets is daunting.

(gn available via gopher from hopf.math.nwu.edu; some inn to gn
newsgroup searching tools are in the works here and will be released
once we have the projct that's funding them completed and out of my hair...)

  Edward Vielmetti, vice president for research, Msen Inc. emv at Msen.com
Msen Inc., 628 Brooks, Ann Arbor MI  48103 +1 313 998 4562 (fax: 998 4563)