Do we want a bionet.test newsgroup?!?

Fri Apr 30 13:08:47 EST 1993

> If there are convincing arguments against the points in the previous
> paragraph, I'd be more than pleased to propose a bionet.test/BIOTEST
> newsgroup/LIST.
>
> Comments, Dave?  You'd know more about this than me.

A few years back we had such a group semiofficially, but I think Eliot
Lear eventually removed it.

I'm not sure that this would resolve the issue that's bothering you.
If the test is being done by a sysop to check their news system, then
it would be useful.  I've often found, however, that new e-mail users
are sometimes tempted to just "kick the tires" to see if the system
works.  There is a certain magic to all of this and they have to
"touch it" to see if it is real.  Maybe there is also something to the
fact that things in the biology lab aren't as deterministic and
reliable as computers?!?  The other occasional cause that I have run
across is when someone signs up by mail for a relatively inactive
newsgroup and doesn't get any postings for a few days.  This may cause
them to send in a message to see if the group is working.  Although we
don't use LISTSERV when subscribing people, our scripts do
automatically send them our instruction sheet and a confirmation that
their subscription has been entered.

The proper thing for people to do if they are concerned about their
e-mail connection is just to send a message to one of the biosci
addresses:

Subscription Address                 Location
--------------------                 --------
biosci at daresbury.ac.uk               Europe, Africa, and Central Asia
biosci at net.bio.net                   Americas and the Pacific Rim

We can reassure them and they don't need to bother everyone else.

However, creating a bionet.test newsgroup again is no big problem and
if systems administrators feel the need for one for testing their news
systems we could easily do it again.  The other question is whether
one would also want a test mailing list along with it or not.

Since this is not really something that people are going to subscribe
to in droves, I'd be happy to receive private mail, instead of further
BIOFORUM/bionet.general postings 8-), from people who feel there is a
need for a test group.  Please also mention if you think that there is
a need for an associated mailing list.  I'll report back next Friday
on the demand and then we can proceed from there.

				Sincerely,

				Dave Kristofferson
				BIOSCI/bionet Manager

				kristoff at net.bio.net