Effect of Nutrasweet on health.

SIMMS at vmd.cso.uiuc.edu SIMMS at vmd.cso.uiuc.edu
Sun Aug 1 14:27:56 EST 1993

In article <1993Jul30.154752.1 at vms.ocom.okstate.edu>
banschbach at vms.ocom.okstate.edu writes:

>Adults handle these amino acid imbalances fairly well with no permanent
>damage.  Headaches and dizzyness are the main problems.  For children under
>the age of 9 though, chronic exposure to phenylalanine, aspartic acid or
>glutamic acid if they can not prevent blood level spikes from occuring after
>eating foods or beverages with high amounts of these amino acids could
>cause permnant brain damage.  This is because the human brain is not fully
>wired (mature) until about 9 years of age.  Children with PKU can eat foods
>with phenylalanine after their brain matures but if phenylalanine is high
>during brain development, mental retardartion occurs.
>
>Just like PKU, only a very small population will not be able to handle
>aspartic acid or glutamic acid but for these people, too much aspartic acid
>(nutrasweet) or glutamic acid (Monosodium glutamate, MSG) before the age of
>9 could cause serious irreversiable brain damage.  This is why MSG is no
>longer allowed in baby foods.
>
>Marty B.

Marty --
Thanks for the nice summary (only part reprinted here).  But I'm left with
a couple of questions.  Since it seems the problem is mainly for children,
is it possible to tell that nutrasweet is causing them a problem before
the actual brain damage?  And how much is too much?
Also, I have been assured by many people that nutrasweet consumed during
pregnancy will not harm the fetus.  Are you implying that this is a
danger?  Or if the mother does not suffer ill effects from aspartame
is there no chance of damage?
                    Just curious,
                            Laura