Effect of Nutrasweet on health.

Steve Gisselbrecht steve at eddie.mit.edu
Mon Aug 2 17:08:57 EST 1993

In article <1993Jul30.154752.1 at vms.ocom.okstate.edu> banschbach at vms.ocom.okstate.edu writes:
> [excellent discussion of amino acid metabolism deleted]
>
>Just like PKU, only a very small population will not be able to handle
>aspartic acid or glutamic acid [...]
>
>Marty B.

	Do you know if these populations overlap?  Are they the same?
My boyfriend is prone to "Chinese Restaurant Syndrome", and I wonder
if I should warn him about lots of Nutra-Sweet on an empty stomach.
Aspartate and glutamate are so similar, I wouldn't be surprised if an
inability to deal with one usually meant an inability to deal with the
other, but glutamate's role in nitrogen metabolism is so unique, I
wouldn't be particularly surprised if it didn't, either.

					steve gisselbrecht
					cell & dev. bio.
					harvard medical school