Question about extracting ancient DNA

SPLUHAR at CROP.UOGUELPH.CA SPLUHAR at CROP.UOGUELPH.CA
Mon Aug 2 17:19:45 EST 1993

> Date:          Fri, 30 Jul 1993 08:28 EDT
> From:          SCHLOSSER at ciit.org
> To:            bioforum at net.bio.net
> Subject:       Re: Question about extracting ancient DNA

> In <CSNET_MQ-101.930729222226.416 at crop.uoguelph.ca>, SPLUHAR at CROP.UOGUELPH.CA
> (Stephen A. Pluhar) writes:
>
> >The discussion on the technical is quite fasinating. In fact one major
> >hurdle is that there would probably too many gaps in any DNA that
> >would be extracted, to clone a dinosaur.
> >
> Well in the movie they used frog DNA to fill in the gaps, though I
> have no idea how feasible that would be.
>
> >Any way I have a question for you all :)
> >
> >If we could clone Dinosaurs, should we ?
> >
> >I hope this will get some debate going. ;-)
>
> I think that it would be great!  Of course, one wouldn't want to do
> anything on the scale of JP, but I think that one or two animals
> could be controlled effectively.  In the movie, the park was set up
> on a remote island, where government control was minimal or non-existent.
> But under such regulation I think that sufficient, redundant mechanical
> safegaurds can be achieved that would eliminate the possibility of
> escape.  O.K., nothing is 100% certain, but with tracking collars and
> some decent artillary, those babies would be dead meat.

I must admit their is a certain appeal to bringing them back for study
purposes.

> The question is "What would the "animal rights" groups say about it?
> (just kidding on this last - but flame me anyway if you must)

The animal rights people would be faced with an interesting dilema:
are the dinosars a bio-polutant to be destroyed because they are a
possoble threat to the ecosphere  or are they more poor defensless
animals to extend rights to and have released into nature where they
"belong"? ;-)

> Paul M. Schlosser
> CIIT
> RTP, NC
> schlosser at beta.ciit.org
> (opinions expressed are solely my own and not those of CIIT)

>Stephen A. Pluhar
SPLUHAR at CROP.UOGUELPH.CA           Dept. Crop Science  U. of Guelph
Phone: 519-824-4120 Ext. 4865      Guelph, Ontario, Canada. N1G 2W1