Science Citation Index Wanted

D.R.Morse drm at ukc.ac.uk
Thu Aug 5 19:22:47 EST 1993

In article <1993Aug5.140218.1199 at crc.ac.uk> gwilliam at crc.ac.uk (Gary Williams x3294) writes:
>In article <1993Aug5.133452.5171 at comp.bioz.unibas.ch> doelz at urz.unibas.ch writes:
>>On the Science Citation issue,
>>
>>To my knowledge the license for accessing BIDS is only covered in the
>>UK - correct me if I'm wrong.
>>
>>Regards
>>Reinhard
>
>You should check with bidshelp at bath.ac.uk, but article 3.3 of the
>licence agreement between Bath University and ISI states:
>
>     3.3  No  persons  shall be excluded from use of the ISI Databases
>for reasons of nationality or citizenship.
>
>--
>GARY WILLIAMS,  Computing Services,       Janet:     G.Williams at UK.AC.MRC.HGMP
>MRC Human Genome Mapping Project,         Internet:  G.Williams at HGMP.MRC.AC.UK
>Watford Rd, HARROW, Middx, HA1 3UJ, UK      ** Sequence databases have  **
>Tel 081-869 3294   Fax 081-423 1275         ** about a 3% error content **

You have to read Article 3.3 in conjunction with Article 3.2, which
basically states that anyone who the Licensee (your institution) authorises
to use BIDS may do so.  It follows that if your institution isn't a Licensee
then you won't be able to use BIDS.  Many UK Higher Education and Research
institutions are Licensee's of BIDS, but not all of them are, and I have no
idea if the principle can be extended to non-UK institutions.

Futher on in the licence agreement, it says:

     4.2  The  Licensee  shall use its best endeavours to restrict the
use of the ISI Databases only to authorised End Users.

which puts the onus on each institution to do the policing of who's using
BIDS under the guise of that institution.

David.
--
Dr David Morse,            "The best user interface to BIDS on campus"
Computing Laboratory,