Migraines and Food

SPLUHAR at CROP.UOGUELPH.CA SPLUHAR at CROP.UOGUELPH.CA
Fri Aug 6 20:37:54 EST 1993

Lawson writes:

> Reading about sensitivity to Phe, Glu, and Asp made me realize that this
> might be a good place to post the following question:
>
> I suffer from classical migraines (with aura, i.e. visual disturbance,
> preceding the actual pain), but have discovered that they can be triggered
> by either orange juice (reconstituted, possibly also fresh) or
> chocolate (dark or white).  Is anyone aware of a substance common to
> both o.j. and chocolate which could be a migraine trigger?
>
> Cathy Lawson, Biology, Brookhaven National Lab, lawson at bnlcl1.bnl.gov
>
> Sugar is common to both. But it is more likely that you may
have an alergy to certain food colours or a common preservative found
in both. Or you may simply be alergic to both chocolate and oranges,
multiple alergies are fairly frequent.

Stephen A. Pluhar
SPLUHAR at CROP.UOGUELPH.CA           Dept. Crop Science  U. of Guelph
Phone: 519-824-4120 Ext. 4865      Guelph, Ontario, Canada. N1G 2W1