Excitotoxics (long) and Neuroendocrine Damage

Jim Wellehan James.F.X.Wellehan at dartmouth.edu
Wed Aug 11 12:06:53 EST 1993

In article <CBKJ91.2r9 at cunews.carleton.ca>
wcsbeau at superior.carleton.ca (OPIRG) writes:

> >>... aspartic acid, glutamic acid or  phenyalanine  blood  spikes
> >>which  then cause an imbalance in brain neurotransmitters levels
> >>are similiar to those  that  occur  in  adults.   Dizzyness  and
> >>headaches  after consuming  food or beverages that contain high
> >>amounts of these amino acids.
>
> Both Glu and Asp have neurotransmitter functions in the mammalian
> brain.  But I hadn't heard that phenylalanine is now considered a
> putative neurotransmitter. Could you elaborate on this? (I rather
> doubt it could be, given that anyone with PKU would automatically
> be missing a neurotransmitter. Which seems *highly* unlikely.

I don't know whether F is a neurotransmitter or not, but your last
comment doesn't make sense.  F is an essential amino acid.  From what I
understand, people with PKU can't metabolize F and it builds up to
toxic levels.  This doesn't mean low levels aren't necessary, and I
doubt it could be completely eliminated.  Please correct me if I'm
wrong.

Jim