microscope slide labels... suggestions requested

Constantine A Lapasha calfor at sparc03.cc.ncsu.edu
Mon Aug 16 10:58:15 EST 1993

We're looking for some suggestions for an adhesive for attaching plain
paper labels to glass microscope slides.  This is for permanent reference
slides - - so long term stability is important, similar to herbarium
requirements.  We prepare the labels on a laser printer on good quality
(stable) paper, then need a way of getting them stuck on the slides.  We've
used mucilage cement in the past, but have had problems with catastrophic
failures where the labels just pop off after a time.  Currently we're
using a non-catylised PVA (like Elmer's white glue) and this seems to be
working ok so far.

Does anyone have any suggestions for something better?

We've had real bad luck with "self stick" labels, and really need a way to
make duplicate labels easily (10-20 copies of each ref. slide made).
The lasaer print on archive quality paper seems to be the answer for
making the labels, but we could use so suggestions for a long-term stable
adhesive that's safe & easy to use.

Thanks in advance!

Constantine LaPasha
Wood Anatomy Lab