Ethics in research question

Jonathan Priluck jamcorp at world.std.com
Wed Aug 18 16:28:28 EST 1993

In article <24u47k$7nu at news.u.washington.edu> toby at stein.u.washington.edu (Toby Bradshaw) writes:
>In article <1993Aug18.190242.5655 at virginia.edu>,
>Michael G. Kurilla <mgk2r at Virginia.EDU> wrote:
>>I think the above statment is a little extreme.  The principle
>>jobs of the PI is to provide funds, concieve of the project (not
>>necessarily the details of experiments), and provide oversight
>>and review.
>
>I can't speak to every situation, but these "disconnected" PIs
>(in my experience) don't do the bulk of the grant-writing, either.
>Where I get my money, a grant proposal with "good ideas" and
>"the big picture", but without the experimental and methodological
>details that only a practitioner (vs. interested observer) is
>likely to know, is doomed.  As the old saw goes, everybody has a
>good idea that won't work.  Funding agencies want ideas that will
>work.  Details are important.
>
>[much deleted]
>
>>PIs also spend a fair amount of time doing things that don't
>>contribute directly to their research, but are necessary to
>>keep the institution and the scientific establish functioning
>>(committes, teaching, reviewing paper and grants).
>
>So do university presidents and deans, but I don't put them on
>my papers.  Authorship _demands_ large inputs of intellectual
>or physical energy.  Everything else belongs in the acknowledgments.
>IMO.
>
>Toby Bradshaw                       |
>Department of Biochemistry          |  Will make genetic linkage maps
>and College of Forest Resources     |            for food.
>University of Washington, Seattle   |
>toby at u.washington.edu               |

	Hey guys; its a cold cruel world!  When I went to school I was older
and wiser than my fellow students.  When I made an important discovery in
1989 I patented it immediately.  I did not inform the university, my
advisor, or anyone else, I just applied for the patent under my name because
it way my idea and nobodys bussiness.  About 18 months later (just one month
after I received my patent fron the Patent Trademark Office) the university
realised what I had and suddenly my project belonged to the university.
They still did not know I had a patent on the process, so I played it cool.
I argued with the university about who would get credit and in general was
very urbane but insiustant.  In the end the University in its arrogance took
the project away from me and assigned it to one of their profs to start
making grant applications.  What I want to know is, should I inform them
that I *already* hold the patent on the process, or do I just wait untill
they have some important rtesearch then sue for infringment?  What do you
net folk think.  BTW I also scooped some of their grants because I submitted
them 10 months ago to some of the same agencies they are now applying to.
	I think large institutions are in the habit of taking what they want
and then being thanked for it.  I know that 99% of the students would never
have taken the precautions I did or even known how.

Regards Jon Priluck

--
*   Jonathan Aerospace Materials Corp., 41 Naples Road, Brookline MA 02146  *
*            Tel (617) 731-3637, Internet:  jamcorp at world.std.com           *