Ethics Question

Michael Ready - or a host of others cmdq144 at chpc.utexas.edu
Thu Aug 19 12:23:21 EST 1993

Dear Netters,

	I am posting this question regarding research ethics for a friend of
mine. His situation is as follows. His position allows him to act as coPI
on grants. In order to be coPI, insitutional permission must be obtained;
PI status is normally reserved for faculty. Recently, his supervisor asked
him to write a grant request, on which both he and his supervisor would be
PI's. He did so, including solely his own ideas and notions regarding a
project he had long been interested in but had had no support for. His
supervisor read the finished product and approved it without change. My
friend then went on vacation. Upon his return, he discovered that (a)
permission for him to act as PI had never been requested; (b) his name
had been whited out (literally) from the grant request; and (c) it had
been submitted in his absence. He is somewhat upset (read "chainsaw mad")
about the matter, but wants to know if his anger is reasonable. Does his
supervisor have the right to act in this manner? Is his behavior
reasonable or ethical?
	My friend does not have net access, so email replies would be
preferred.

Thanks,
Mike

   | Dr. Michael P. Ready                     | READY at UTBC01.CM.UTEXAS.EDU |
   | Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry | Phone: (512)471-3625       |
   | University of Texas                      | FAX:   (512)471-8696       |
   | Austin, Texas 78712                      |                            |
   |   "A liberal is a man who leaves the room when the fight begins."     |
   |                                                       -Heywood Broun  |