Ethics in research question

Wade Hines hines at socrates.ucsf.edu
Fri Aug 20 00:20:46 EST 1993

jamcorp at world.std.com (Jonathan Priluck) writes:

>>If you were doing the research in pursuit of a degree, you may find that to
>>receive the degree, you must assign rights to your invention (when thepatent
>>is granted) to the University.  It is fairly standard operating procedure that
>>the University owns all rights to the results of research, especially
>>dissertation research, undergone in pursuit of a degree.  If they haven't given
>> <snip>

>	I guess that depends on which is more valuable, the degree or the
>patent.  As I said in a previous posting; make a rule catch a fool.  What
>you are saying is wrong, in fact the legal position of the university
>(particularly in my case which I will not go into here) in most cases is so
>weak that they will not even challenge you in court if you have the savvy to
>stand up to them.

This is particularily true for software. Intellectual property rights are
an evolving branch of law and it would be foolish to state exactly who would
win, but the trend is to give the inventor credit, not the employer. As in
all legal matters, ridiculous exeptions abound.
--Wade Who should be writing, not reading news!