Excitotoxics (long) and Neuroendocrine Damage

banschbach at vms.ocom.okstate.edu banschbach at vms.ocom.okstate.edu
Fri Aug 20 16:35:24 EST 1993

In article <CBLu7K.792 at dartvax.dartmouth.edu>, James.F.X.Wellehan at dartmouth.edu (Jim Wellehan) writes:

>> Both Glu and Asp have neurotransmitter functions in the mammalian
>> brain.  But I hadn't heard that phenylalanine is now considered a
>> putative neurotransmitter. Could you elaborate on this? (I rather
>> doubt it could be, given that anyone with PKU would automatically
>> be missing a neurotransmitter. Which seems *highly* unlikely.
>
> I don't know whether F is a neurotransmitter or not, but your last
> comment doesn't make sense.  F is an essential amino acid.  From what I
> understand, people with PKU can't metabolize F and it builds up to
> toxic levels.  This doesn't mean low levels aren't necessary, and I
> doubt it could be completely eliminated.  Please correct me if I'm
> wrong.
>
> Jim

Phenylalanine is an essential amino acid.  The PKU diet has some
phenylalanine in it since phenylalanine can not be completely eliminated
from the human diet.  If your diet has enough phenylalanine, you will not
need any tyrosine since most of the phenylalanine in your diet is converted
to tyrosine in the liver using phenylalanine hydroxylase (the enzyme that
does not work at all in patients with PKU).  The PKU diet has a lot more
tyrosine in it than phenylalanine.  It's an artifical meat diet since most
high protein foods contain more phenylalanine than tyrosine.  Once the human
brain has fully matured at about the age of 9, kids with PKU are switched over
to normal diets but they still have to watch their phenylalanine intake and are
warned not to consume food or beverages with Nutrasweet.
--
Marty B.                   "You are what you eat"