Ethics in research question

Anthony Rosati rosati at gusun.acc.georgetown.edu
Tue Aug 17 03:08:50 EST 1993

Michael Holloway (mhollowa at nyx.cs.du.edu) wrote:
: I'd like to have a wide range of feedback on a question of ethics in
: research and researcher collegiality.

[Long story about unethical scientists trying to steal data]

: The question is: is this
: unethical, simply unprofessional, or just business as usual in the
: big fish pond and shear stupidity on the part of the small lab?
: What, if anything, should the grad student do or say?  How do
: situations like this effect the free flow of information between
: labs?  Does this, for instance, explain why so little substantive
: discussion of personal research takes place over netnews?  All
: hypothetical of course.  I'd never be so stupid as to get mixed up
: in something like this.

I can't say what it is, but it's slimy ! I suggest you mention, in casual,
matter-of-fact manner, the next time they come a-calling, that you have are in
the process of contact Repr. Dingle in the hopes that his investigative team
can clear up the problem of recognition and integrity between BOTH labs'
NIH grants... Bet you 10 dollars they suddenly act real nice to you!

Regards,

Tony ;>

--
+-------------------------+---------------------------------------------------+
| Anthony V. Rosati       | Information Exchange Coordinator and Member, The
|
| Department of Chemistry | Board of Directors, The National Association of

| Georgetown University   | Graduate - Professional Students   1993-1994      |
| Washington, DC 20057
| (202) 687-5610          | *** BITNET   : A_ROSATI at GUVAX.GEORGETOWN.EDU  ***
|
| (202) 298-9056          | *** Internet : rosati at gusun.georgetown.edu    ***
|
| (202) 687-6209 [FAX]    | *** Freenet  : rosati at cap.gwu.edu             ***

                     `--------'                - Captain Jean-Luc Picard
                                                 USS Enterprise, NCC-1701D