Ethics in research question

Christopher R. Dunlea crdunlea at rodan.syr.edu
Wed Aug 18 02:50:48 EST 1993

Wow, that sounds REAL hypothetical...but anyway, my opinion
is that it is both unprofessional and unethical. And probably
business as usual, too.

Unfortunately you can prove nothing in court (dates, simlarity
of projects, etc) and obviously "collaborated" to some degree,
which their attorney would grind you with.

My question to you is: why did your hypothetical
advisor not check (or, actually, know) the reputation
of the Rockefeller lab in the first place? Seems
that the research community in your field would be small
enough so that word would get around.

Chris