Ethics in research question

Michael Holloway mhollowa at nyx.cs.du.edu
Tue Aug 17 03:30:51 EST 1993

Stephen A. Pluhar writes:

>I would say that what the big lab did here is the moral equivalent
>of plagerism. The fact that no joint publication is offered and no
>reprimand is given to the students which stole the data would indi-
>cate to me that the big lab can't be trusted.

I think that raises two separate issues.  The students hadn't
actually stolen the data, but they did not find it worthwhile to
consider the interests of the small lab that was generating the
work.  It would be the moral equivalent of plagerism if collegiality
were of greater value than competition.

>> Does this, for instance, explain why so little substantive
>> discussion of personal research takes place over netnews?

>It might be. Although netnews would seem to be a perfact way to
>establish priority since all the articles are archived and their
>time of transmission is recorded.

But how would the results be evaluated?  I could say I have certain
results, but it might be more wishful thinking than reality.  I
think that priority would have to come with clear and convincing
evidence of the observations.  Maybe an electronic journal?  I'd
like to see that happen.