microscope slide labels... suggestions requested

klier at cobra.uni.edu klier at cobra.uni.edu
Mon Aug 30 19:34:09 EST 1993

> In article <CBww52.27J at ncifcrf.gov>
> pnh at fcsparc6.ncifcrf.gov (Paul N Hengen) writes:
>>
>>In article <calfor.745516695 at news.ncsu.edu>
>> calfor at sparc03.cc.ncsu.edu (Constantine A Lapasha) writes:
>>
>>> We're looking for some suggestions for an adhesive for attaching plain
>>> paper labels to glass microscope slides.  This is for permanent reference
>>> slides - - so long term stability is important, similar to herbarium
>>> requirements.  We prepare the labels on a laser printer on good quality
>>> (stable) paper, then need a way of getting them stuck on the slides.

>>You might try gluing them them with 3MM Photo-mount spray adhesive.
>>This is permanent and far less messy than what you're currently
>>using, but it's more expensive (approx. $12.00 US/can).

> Since you have a laser printer, why not try the readily-available
> Avery (div of Fasson) self-adhesive address labels? They are easily
> printed on with a laser ( for which they were designed) and have a
> very aggressive adhesive.

If you're after *archivally permanent* slide labels, none of the
products above are probably suitable.  For the herbarium, I use
acid-free paper, laser printed and then run through an infrared
copier (it melts the plastic carrier into the paper fibers better).
These are glued to the slide with a neutral pH PVA adhesive, like
Demco's NeutralBond, or some of the products from other library
suppliers.  In addition, the slides are permanently numbered with
a diamond pencil;  a list of all slides in the box, and their
numbers, is printed on acid-free paper and included in the box.

There are also some "archival" pressure sensitive labels available
on rolls from various jobbers-- they are meant for such jobs as
labeling storage boxes -- that *might* work, but they'd need to
be cut to size.  I've not seen "archival" pressure-sensitive laser
labels yet.

Kay Klier     Biology Dept    Univ. Northern Iowa