microscope slide labels... suggestions requested

Ian Staples ianst at qdpii.ind.dpi.qld.gov.au
Tue Aug 31 04:14:09 EST 1993

klier at cobra.uni.edu writes:
[much deleted]
>> Since you have a laser printer, why not try the readily-available
>> Avery (div of Fasson) self-adhesive address labels? They are easily
>> printed on with a laser ( for which they were designed) and have a
>> very aggressive adhesive.

>If you're after *archivally permanent* slide labels, none of the
>products above are probably suitable.  For the herbarium, I use
>acid-free paper, laser printed and then run through an infrared
>copier (it melts the plastic carrier into the paper fibers better).
>These are glued to the slide with a neutral pH PVA adhesive, like
[...]
>There are also some "archival" pressure sensitive labels available
>on rolls from various jobbers-- they are meant for such jobs as
>labeling storage boxes -- that *might* work, but they'd need to
>be cut to size.  I've not seen "archival" pressure-sensitive laser
>labels yet.

If you live in the tropics you *know* that there is no such animal
as a permanent self-adhesive label.

Back in the days when I made slides I seem to recall that we
"varnished" the labels on with the same stuff that we used to
seal the cover glass - 30 years ago that was "plain" (i.e. clear)
fingernail polish.  But I guess we weren't looking for true archival
storage.  Bees wax seemed to feature in this somewhere too (it's all
getting a bit hazy now :).

There certainly doesn't seem to be any point in making the label
more permanent than the specimen anyway.

Cheers,  Ian S.

Ian Staples                        E-mail : ianst at qdpii.ind.dpi.qld.gov.au
c/- P.O. Box 1054 MAREEBA          Phone  : +61 (0)70 921 555 Home 924 847
Queensland Australia 4880            Fax  : +61 (0)70 923 593   "   "   "