Is the F plasmid a viroid?

Ed Rybicki ed at micro.uct.ac.za
Tue Dec 7 13:27:32 EST 1993

In article <plyjmh.2.0010ECB3 at pln1.life.nottingham.uk.ac> plyjmh at pln1.life.nottingham.uk.ac (Mazda Hewitt) writes:

>The F plasmid seems to behave similarly to a viroid.  It causes its host
>to replicate and spread it to a new host.

>Is this a good analogy?

Nooooooo.....since when do viroids make their hosts replicate?  Some viruses
do, most notably things like papova- and adenoviruses, but not viroids.

Lousy analogy!  Do you mean virus, maybe?  I suggest you look up any basic
text on virology - preferably an old Luria et al., General Virology, 3rd. Edn.
- and see what they say about viruses and plasmids.

 | Ed Rybicki, PhD             |    "Now you've got the hang of it    |
 | (ed at micro.uct.ac.za)        | There's nothing you can't do with it |
 | Dept Microbiology           |        If you're very into it        |
 | University of Cape Town     |         You can't go wrong...."      |
 | 7700, South Africa          |               -Mad John              |
 | fax: 27-21-650 4023         | (Ogden's Nut Gone Flake, Small Faces)|