Database for consensus sequences

Michael Holloway mhollowa at ic.sunysb.edu
Mon Dec 6 10:43:36 EST 1993

In article <CHH0q4.3z8 at umdnj.edu> byrne at umdnj.edu (Bruce Byrne) writes:
>'ve been asked an interesting question I cannot answer.  NBCI
>aka genbank provides zillions of exact REAL sequences to be
>searched.  Is there a similar database available to search those
>useful fictions called "consensus sequences"

Look up David Ghosh's Transcription Factor Database (NAR 18:1749-56).
It's available via ftp from NIH.  It has consensus sequences in it but is not
limited to them.  There is a file available for using the sites.dat table
with GCG software.  Signal Scan is a very nice program for using TFD.

Prestridge, D.S. (1991) SIGNAL SCAN: A computer program that scans DNA
sequences for eukaryotic transcriptional elements. CABIOS 7, 203-206.

  Dr. Dan S. Prestridge                        tele:(303) 465-0658
  Dept. of Mol., Cell., and Devl. Biology      email:DANP at BEAGLE.COLORADO.EDU
  University of Colorado
  Boulder, Colorado   80309-0347

Mike Holloway
mhollowa at epo.som.sunysb.edu