a.calcoaceticus - what is it ?

Keith Robison robison1 at husc10.harvard.edu
Mon Dec 13 12:06:47 EST 1993

bjd12 at cus.cam.ac.uk (Ben Davis) writes:

>	We've been searching embl, and have come up with a load of species. We
>know what most of them are (rats, humans, they're OK), but we don't know what
>a.calcoaceticus is - anyone got any details (we've just been looking for
>tryptophan as a keyword)

Acinetobacter calcoaceticus -- a purple ("gram negative") bacterium.

Some useful resources for taxonomy are:

	The Ribosomal Database Project, which has extensive rRNA-based
phylogenies (primarily of eubacteria and archeans).  Gopher access
via rdpgopher.life.edu

	The taxonomy files used by GenBank -- available via gopher
at gopher.gdb.org.

(I'm sure there are others; this is just a short list of two good starting
 points)

Good luck!

Keith Robison
Harvard University