a.calcoaceticus - what is it ?

brownnl at vms1.bham.ac.uk brownnl at vms1.bham.ac.uk
Mon Dec 13 18:14:02 EST 1993

In article <1993Dec13.145524.12941 at infodev.cam.ac.uk>, bjd12 at cus.cam.ac.uk (Ben Davis) writes:
> 	We've been searching embl, and have come up with a load of species. We
> know what most of them are (rats, humans, they're OK), but we don't know what
> a.calcoaceticus is - anyone got any details (we've just been looking for
> tryptophan as a keyword)

I guess, without more information, that it is _Acinetobacter calcoaceticus_, a
Gram-negative, non-motile (hence the genus name), aerobic bacteria.  They are
widespread in the environment.  Look in most good micorbiology books.  More
details are probably in Bergey's Manual of Determinative Bacteriology (unless
it has been reclassified recently).

|  Nigel L. Brown		| Tel: UK+21 414 6556                |
|  Biological Sciences		| Fax: UK+21 414 6557                |
|  Univ. Birmingham		| E_mail: N.L.Brown at bham.ac.uk       |
|  UK                           |  (never mind what the header reads)|