funny biological names - got any?

Richard Bingham rwb at festival.ed.ac.uk
Thu Dec 16 11:17:47 EST 1993

In <philipr.755832494 at extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU> philipr at extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU (Philip Rhoades) writes:

)>This is for a friend who needs some funny (peculiar/amusing) biological
)>names for an article he is writing.

My all time favourite is Crepidula fornicata (commonly known as the
Slipper Limpet).  It gets its name from its interesting reproductive
habits (which if my memory serves me aright, is called protandrous
consecutive sexuality).  It is over 25 years since I studied any marine
biology, but that particular mollusc made a lasting impression!
I'm sure you will find details in any standard marine biology textbook,
although I see from your address that you inhabit the opposite side of
the planet from here, so it may not be a feature of your waters (and
reference books).

Richard

--
Richard W. Bingham, Dept. of Veterinary Pathology, University of Edinburgh,
      Summerhall, Edinburgh, EH9 1QH, Scotland.  tel: +44 31 650 6152

****  The shortest distance between two points is under construction   ****