funny biological names - got any?

Robert C. Colgrove robin at
Thu Dec 16 15:19:17 EST 1993

rwb at (Richard Bingham) writes:

>In <philipr.755832494 at> philipr at (Philip Rhoades) writes:

>)>This is for a friend who needs some funny (peculiar/amusing) biological
>)>names for an article he is writing.

well here's a topic that deserves some real thought. ;^)
just off the top of my head, some of my favorites:

Chaos Chaos (an amoeba)
Mycobacterium Smegmatis (an atypical mycobacteria)
Plasmodium (the genus of Malariae)

and if you don't require the names to be latinate
some of the local names for viral pathogens are great:

cadang cadang (a plant viroid)
chickungunya (a human flavivirus)
Breakbone fever (a dengue syndrome)
Bluetongue (a reovirus)
Equine Coital exanthema virus (a herpesvirus)
Foot and Mouth Disease (a picornavirus)
Molluscum Contagiosum (a poxvirus)
O'nyong-nyong (a togavirus)
Lumpy Skin Disease Virus (a bovine pox virus)

oh shoot,
I could go on and on.
hope this helps...

robin colgrove