funny biological names - got any?

Peter Herman x5495 rpeter at nmsu.edu
Fri Dec 17 12:25:38 EST 1993

In article <1993Dec16.165351.20883 at cobra.uni.edu> klier at cobra.uni.edu writes:
>In article <philipr.755832494 at extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU>, philipr at extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU (Philip Rhoades) writes:
>> This is for a friend who needs some funny (peculiar/amusing) biological
>> names for an article he is writing.
>
>Ah well... how about the subspecies of desert trumpet, a wild buckwheat,
>And of course my students find certain crude humor in such names as
>Ilex vomitoria, Backhousia, Grossularia....

The fellow I had for plant tax was a terrible pun-master and also
enjoyed the slightly risque names plants/plant famlies have.
He always managed to arrange the semester so that he could talk
about the composites and the loasaceae together so that he could
mention Hieracium and the Loasaceae in the same sentence

rpeter at nmsu.edu
in real life:
R. Peter Herman
Biology Department