MD vs. PhD vs. MD/PhD : what's best for research?

Ian S. Graham igraham at alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca
Fri Dec 17 11:44:50 EST 1993

It depends on what you want to do.  An MD trains you to be a doctor.
A PhD trains you to do research.  The goals are very different,
as are the points of view.  If you want to do research I
recommend the PhD part.   I have some really bright MD's who
don't have a good feel for the methodology of research.
In my opinion this limits their effectiveness in research.

On the other hand, who want to spend all their lives at
University...

Ian