MD vs. PhD vs. MD/PhD : what's best for research?

Paul N Hengen pnh at
Fri Dec 17 15:20:05 EST 1993

In article <2equciINN3ks at> mbharrin at writes:

> I'd like to hear opinions about which degree is best for research
> careers, and what's the advantage of getting an MD for someone solely
> interested in research?  What kinds of things are MD/PhD people doing in
> terms of research or medical practice?  Are there more opportunitites in
> research for those with an MD compared to those with just a PhD?  Is
> either degree more respected in the scientific community?

> Matt Harrington
> Internet: matt at

Is it my imagination, or have you already decided which of these will
grant you more respect in the scientific community and within your
own mind? If you feel an M.D. is less than equivalent to a Ph.D.,
then by all means persue the M.D.

* National Cancer Institute                       |Internet: pnh at |*