MD vs. PhD vs. MD/PhD : what's best for research?

Yoshio Turner yoshio at
Sat Dec 18 00:09:29 EST 1993

In <holland-171293151113 at> holland at (Steve Holland) writes:
>I have heard administrators say the simple reason is market forces.  MD's
>can make more in private practice, so to keep them the pay scales should
>be higher.

I was never swift with economics, but does this not
imply that if research positions become scarcer that
the expensive MDs would tend to have more trouble
getting hired for those positions that could be filled
just as well by a PhD?

Yoshio Turner
yoshio at