Your opinion on discrimination? (repost)

Kai Bartels g14b at alf.zfn.uni-bremen.de
Fri Dec 17 09:33:31 EST 1993

Hi.

We are two students at the University of Bremen and want to conduct a poll
on "social discrimination on computer networks" on the internet. In addition
to general questions on this topic we would like to ask some questions about
sexual discrimination.
Your answers will of course be anonymized and we won't be able reconnect
your answers with your person.

If want to send some comments, questions or "flames", please use one
of our personal accounts instead the one used for replies here, since
replies are automaticly parsed and reduced. You can reach us via this
accounts:
Peter Jutzies	j03h at zfn.uni-bremen.de,
Kai Bartels	g14b at zfn.uni-bremen.de.

(If you know of any other material concerning this topic or racism or
 any connected topic, we will be very glad to receive pointers to it!)

general questions on discrimination:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1. Have you ever seen discriminating statements on the net (e.g. in news, mail,
   irc, mud, ...) ?
   ( Note: On answering multiple-choice questions please place an "X" inside
           the brackets. )
 (1)	[ ] Yes		[ ] No

2. Have you been the target of such discrimination?
 (2)	[ ] Yes		[ ] No

If your answer to question one or two was "yes" please answer the following
five questions (3 through 7):

3. Please state (the most frequent first) the net services you saw the
   discriminating statements on (if it was news, please state the newsgroup).
   ( Note: Replace the underscores with your text for textual answers. )
     service:                              kind of discrimination:
 (3) ___________________________________  [ ] rac.  [ ] sex.  [ ] _____
 (3) ___________________________________  [ ] rac.  [ ] sex.  [ ] _____
 (3) ___________________________________  [ ] rac.  [ ] sex.  [ ] _____
 (3) ___________________________________  [ ] rac.  [ ] sex.  [ ] _____
 (3) ___________________________________  [ ] rac.  [ ] sex.  [ ] _____
 (3) ___________________________________  [ ] rac.  [ ] sex.  [ ] _____

4. How, according to your observation, does the direct discrimination relate
   to the hidden?
   ( Note: Please replace the underscores with the according numbers. )
 (4)	___% direct		___% hidden

5. Do you consider such statements dramatic ?
   ( Note: Just place an "X" somewhere in the line. )
 (5)	harmless |-------------------------| dramatic

6. Would you like to see action taken to prevent such discrimination?
 (6)	[ ] Yes		[ ] No

7. If you think so, what kind of action should be taken?
 (7) _________________________________________________
 (7) _________________________________________________

8. Have you ever received a reply to one of your statements telling you
   it has been considered discriminating by other people?
 (8)	[ ] Yes		[ ] No

9. If your answer to question 8 was "yes": Looking back, what's your
   opinion on this incident now, was this person right in feeling
   discriminated?
 (9)	[ ] Yes		[ ] No

specific questions on sexual discrimination:

10. Which net services do you think are used to transport or spread
    sexist material (please order foer frequency again and state the
    individual newsgroups for the news service) ?
 (10) ________________________________________________ [ ] pers.  [ ] told
 (10) ________________________________________________ [ ] pers.  [ ] told
 (10) ________________________________________________ [ ] pers.  [ ] told
 (10) ________________________________________________ [ ] pers.  [ ] told
 (10) ________________________________________________ [ ] pers.  [ ] told
 (10) ________________________________________________ [ ] pers.  [ ] told

11. Would you consider the following examples sexist?
    If yes, who is discriminated against more often, women or men? (This
    answers in percents, please.)
      example:                           sexist?      who is discriminated?
 (11) pictures of sexual activities  [ ] Yes  [ ] No  ___% women  ___% men
 (11) textual description of sexual
      activities                     [ ] Yes  [ ] No  ___% women  ___% men
 (11) _____________________________  [ ] Yes  [ ] No  ___% women  ___% men
 (11) _____________________________  [ ] Yes  [ ] No  ___% women  ___% men

(a few) questions about you:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

12. age
 (12) __ years

13. sex
 (13)	[ ] female		[ ] male

14. What networks do you use?
 (14)	UseNet			[ ] Yes  [ ] No
 (14)	Fido			[ ] Yes  [ ] No

Thank you very much for your help.

--
"Goodbye stranger, It's been nice, Hope you find your paradise"  <Supertramp>
Uni: g14b at alf.zfn.uni-Bremen.de       +        Home: kaba at wintermute.north.de
Snail:  Kai Bartels +  c/o Junknickl +  Kohlmannstr. 1 +  28359 Bremen +  FRG
(pgp key on request)