funny biological names - got any?

Peter Rice rice at embl-heidelberg.de
Mon Dec 20 05:39:24 EST 1993

In article <philipr.755832494 at extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU>, philipr at extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU
(Philip Rhoades) writes:
> This is for a friend who needs some funny (peculiar/amusing) biological
> names for an article he is writing.
>
> Names of fish in particular would be good but anything would be
> appreciated.

My favourite odd name in EMBL is the rainbow trout. It seems to have
two completely different names. One is Salmo gairdneri, rather dull,
but the other is Oncorhynchus mykiss which I keep wanting to reverse
into Kiss Myoncorhynchus :-)

You could also try the wonderful world of gene names in E.coli and
(especially) Drosophila.

I recall a story long ago of a biochemist who had an article rejected because
he called his unknown sugar "ignose" but he then got it accepted with the
name changed to "godnose" - but the story may be apocryphal.

 Peter Rice, EMBL                             | Post: Computer Group
                                              |       European Molecular
 Internet:    Peter.Rice at EMBL-Heidelberg.DE   |            Biology Laboratory
                                              |       Postfach 10-2209
 Phone:   +49-6221-387247                     |       69012 Heidelberg
 Fax:     +49-6221-387306                     |       Germany