funny biological names - got any?

Peter Rice rice at embl-heidelberg.de
Fri Dec 24 16:49:00 EST 1993

Colgrove) writes:
>>A formal name has not been decided upon but for now the
>>discoverers are calling it "Eric"
>
> I fail to see the humor in that particular name.
> [Type smile key to continue]

Smile key? So you do know really.

For those who may be still confused, see (or better, hear) the song "Eric the
half a bee" on the "Monty Python Sings" CD, and the sketch "Fish licence":

Post Office Worker: Five pence please
John Cleese: Excuse me, I would like to buy a fish licence, please.
POW: What?
JC: A licence for my pet fish, Eric.
POW: How did you know my name was Eric?
JC: No, no, no. My fish's name is Eric. Eric the fish. 'E's an 'alibut.
POW: A what?
JC: He is an halibut.
POW: You've got a pet halibut?
JC: Yes, I chose him out of thousands. I didn't like the others.
    They were all too flat.

.. and so on, through the pet dog called Eric (who already had a licence),
the pet cat called Eric with a modified dog licence, Eric the fruit bat,
and more in some versions of the sketch. Like all Python, it gets very
silly and has no proper punchline (not in any of the versions).

Note for the transatlantically impaired: Monty Python is English (except
for the two Terries), so "licence" is correct. "License" is the verb.

 Peter Rice, EMBL                             | Post: Computer Group
                                              |       European Molecular
 Internet:    Peter.Rice at EMBL-Heidelberg.DE   |            Biology Laboratory
                                              |       Postfach 10-2209
 Phone:   +49-6221-387247                     |       69012 Heidelberg
 Fax:     +49-6221-387306                     |       Germany