Advisor STEALING an idea

Tom Schneider toms at fcsparc6.ncifcrf.gov
Wed Feb 3 16:01:53 EST 1993

In article <1993Feb3.141259.1825 at alw.nih.gov> jeffs at elsie.nci.nih.gov
(Jeffrey Alan Silverman) writes:

>He  has put two other postdocs on this project.... not told my friend that he
>was going to start this work never mind put two other people on it!

Stealing ideas is immoral.  I think you should be able to find administrators
(at NIH?) who will look into the case.  I suggest she confront him directly
also.  I've had ideas stolen, and it should not be allowed to continue.  You
can guess who in my case also.  The trouble is that such folks may not even
realize what they are doing, not care, or be in a sufficiently powerful
position that they feel secure.  It's disgusting, but I suspect it happens a
lot more than is admitted.

  Tom Schneider
  National Cancer Institute
  Laboratory of Mathematical Biology