What's in a name? CFD on BNFNET-l (fwd)

Fri Feb 5 01:27:22 EST 1993

> I agree with what Peter Herman posted: the name should be immediately
> accessible to anyone who might be interested in joining (so scratch
> `NITFIX'). On the other hand, I agree with Rob that hyphens are asking
> for trouble. Not one hour after reading his warning I made precisely
> the mistake he warned about (confusing a hyphen for a an underscore),
> costing me a message and time (so scratch N2-fixation). How about
> `N2Fixation'?
>
> Wait a second. There's an 8 character limit, no? Then `NITROGEN'.

Each section of a USENET newsgroup name (i.e., the parts between the
periods) can be up to 14 characters. The eight character limit is an
old BITNET limitation and we have maintained it for BIOSCI mailing
address limits just to accomodate the few that have not upgraded to
new mail systems.

				Sincerely,

				Dave Kristofferson
				BIOSCI/bionet Manager