Will the real owner please stand up?

Matthew P Wiener weemba at sagi.wistar.upenn.edu
Tue Feb 9 10:57:33 EST 1993

In article <1kse5jINNi6t at MINERVA.CIS.YALE.EDU>, smith-una at yale (Una Smith) writes:
>Verbatim from the Letters section (page 441) of the 22 January 1993
>issue of Science (vol 259):

>					 I refer specifically to the
>	4 December News & Comment article by Peter Aldhous (p. 1572)
>	stating that Hoffmann--La Roche is taking to court companies
>	who produce and sell this enzyme for use in the polymerase
>	chain reaction (PCR).

Let's not forget that, under heavy pressure and threats of government
expropriation, Roche agreed to not charge for research and diagnostic
uses.

But yes, the whole thing stinks.

>And I can not resist pointing out in the same issue an item in the
>News & Comment section titled "Will the Real Journal Please Stand Up?"

It's a must read.  A journal is now embroiled in a lawsuit over who
controls it, and the two parties are each producing their version of
the journal.
--
-Matthew P Wiener (weemba at sagi.wistar.upenn.edu)