RAPD-L newsgroup

John Nash nash at biologysx.lan.nrc.ca
Fri Feb 12 15:19:47 EST 1993

In article <1993Feb12.044509.18115 at nmr-z.mgh.harvard.edu> cherry at OPAL.MGH.HARVARD.EDU writes:
>From: cherry at OPAL.MGH.HARVARD.EDU
>Subject: Re: RAPD-L newsgroup
>Date: 12 Feb 93 04:45:09 GMT

>In article <1993Feb11.142107.6932 at news.miami.edu>, kramer at oj.rsmas.miami.edu (Jack Kramer) writes:
>>RAPD is one of many new techniques based on PCR.  Since PCR has become
>>such a large part of molecular biology, I would propose a new USENET
>>group "bionet.molbio.pcr".  The RAPD-L ( and any other PCR ) lists
>>could be merged into a new bionet PCR group.
>>
>>Since PCR is already a popular subject in the methods and reagents
>>group this may help reduce the number of "54 unread messages"
>>announcements I often get there.  Even with threaded readers this
>>can be overwhelming and confusing for some.

>The topics covered by the RAPD list are far greater than just those
>associated with the PCR methodology. Those reading the RAPD list would
>probably also be interested in a PCR newsgroup. The RAPD-L list covers
>the genetics of RAPD markers and their analysis. There has resently
>been some discussion about where to get oligos on RAPD-L, however as I
>recall the past messages of RAPD-L the majority were not about PCR.

>I would not be in favor of the RAPD-L list being merged into a methods
>group on PCR.

>Mike Cherry

I'll have to agree with Mike.  I am an avid reader of many of the BIONET
newsgroups, and a RAPD-L subscriber.  When the RAPD-L was first floated "way
back when", I thought that the topic was too narrow for the group to
survive, and that a PCR-and-related-topics (incl. RAPD) group would have
been a better idea.  Now, I don't think so.  The RAPD-L list contains
lots of useful, pleasant discussion on the many different uses of RAPD, and
to merge it with a PCR group would dilute its impact in a way that would
probably be unacceptable to many of the 200 or so RAPD-L subscribers.  So,
I'd vote "Yes" to RAPD being propelled into the bionet hierarchy, but "No"
to any moves to change its successful current structure.

cheers, John

John Nash                           | Email: Nash at biologysx.lan.nrc.ca.
Institute for Biological Sciences,  | National Research Council of Canada,
Cell Physiology Group.              | Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.