RAPD-L newsgroup

FARMERJ at BYU.EDU FARMERJ at BYU.EDU
Fri Feb 12 13:24:07 EST 1993

In recent postings, Jack Kramer suggested that the proposed RAPD
news group be included within a more general PCR news group.  Dave
Kristofferson suggested that current users of RAPD-L respond to
this suggestion.  I have invited them to do so.  This is my
personal response.

I use both PCR and RAPD.  It seems to me that RAPD reaction
conditions, primer design, and analysis of results have little in
common with the usual uses of PCR.  For this reason I do not wish
to mix RAPD comments with general comments about all other
applications of PCR.  As PCR is used for more and more purposes, a
group on PCR and all related techniques would become unwieldy, I
suspect.  RAPD-L has 208 subscribers as of today, some of which are
groups of researchers rather than individuals.  I suspect that we
will have a great number more if we become a bionet news group and
as the use of RAPD's for population genetics and phylogeny expands.
How many participants can a single news group contain before it
becomes unwieldy?  I don't know the answer, but the current size
seems to work well.

James L. Farmer
Department of Zoology
571 WIDB