structure of Drosophila heart

ww40 William_D_WARREN at UMAIL.UMD.EDU
Sun Feb 14 17:42:00 EST 1993

>Hi there!  I was wondering if someone might be able to assist me with any
>information they have on the structure of the Drosophila heart and any
>homology that might exist between Drosophila and mammalian heart?  Please
>write to me by e-mail if you could possibly help me.  Thanks, Jane.

Jane,

Vertibrates and invertibrates have vastly different circulatory systems
and thus there is no real analogous structure to the mammalian heart in
Drosophila, although there are small "pumps" that move the haemolymph
around inside the exoskeleton. If you wish to talk to someone who is
more knowledgable about insect biology I suggest that you walk across
Royal Parade and go into the Genetics Department at Melb. Uni. There are
several Drosophila labs there. I'm sure that Phil Batterham or Marie Phillips
would be happy to talk to you about this.

Good luck,

William D. WARREN
Center for Agricultural Biotechnology
University of Maryland at College Park