Bionet.drosophila news: Fly stock orders via Gopher+

Don Gilbert gilbertd at sunflower.bio.indiana.edu
Sat Feb 20 08:44:26 EST 1993

Here is an example of some news for the proposed bionet.drosophila
group.  Updates to flybase information services will be posted
to such a newgroup.  Drosophila biologists are encouraged to
offer suggestions, criticisms and comments on this developing
fly information service.

You may now order Drosophila stocks from Bloomington center via Gopher+.
This is an experimental feature at the moment, but we hope to expand
this kind of interactive service via Internet Gopher+.

To order stocks this way, you will need to use one of the very new
Gopher+ client programs which support this new feature.  The only one
now available is the simple Unix curses client.  TurboGopher+ does not
yet support the multiple ASK option used in this stock order.

You will need to use gopher to port 140 instead of the standard port 70
for the near future, to get gopher+ services at IUBio archive:
  gopher ftp.bio.indiana.edu  140
will work for the Unix curses client.  Look into the folder
Flybase/stocks/stock-centers/bloomington for the item "stock-order".

 +--------------------------------stock-order---------------------------------+
 | Drosophila stock number(s):                                                |
 | Name:                                                                      |
 | Supply the following information only                                      |
 | if you are ordering for the first time                                     |
 | or some of this information has changed                                    |
 | since your last order.                                                     |
 | Local Address 1:                                                           |
 | Local Address 2:                                                           |
 | Local Address 3:                                                           |
 | City, State, ZipCode:                                                      |
 | Country:                                                                   |
 | Phone:                                                                     |
 | FAX  :                                                                     |
 | E-mail:                                                                    |
 |  [Switch Fields - TAB]                [Cancel ^G] [Accept - Enter]         |

Note -- you may want to search the lists of fly stocks first thru gopher
to find the right stock number to order.

The Unix Gopher+ client is available via gopher or ftp to boombox.micro.umn.edu,
and locate gopher/Unix/gopher+1.2b2.tar.Z

We plan to expand use of this kind of interactive feature via Gopher+, both
for Flybase and for other biocomputing services.

Don Gilbert                                     gilbert at bio.indiana.edu