How does an innocent scientist learn that bionet exists?

Francis Ouellette francis at monod.Biol.McGill.CA
Sat Feb 20 12:03:50 EST 1993

kristoff at NET.BIO.NET (Dave Kristofferson) writes:

>> How does an innocent scientist learn that bionet exists? I think only

>However, our best source of publicity is quite simply **YOU**!  Every
>month we post the BIOSCI info sheet on BIONEWS/bionet.announce.  Why
>not take a copy and post it on your department's bulletin board??

I have done this, and I hope to propose (real soon now :) the creation
of a yeast group ...  and with the advent of the DM group (or was that
DROM? :), I am sure a C. elegans bionet group is just arround the
corner.  What will these groups do?  Well, I think they will get the
PIs (principle investigators, a.k.a the big chiefs) from these fields
into the bionet/BIOSCI thing, and the whole community will gain,
because even if these new people only look at, and participate in,
their groups, all of us lurkers will gain!

I too have been faced with this "bionet is a waste of time" when ever
I mention, specially from more senior people ... but I think these
more specialized groups answer these problems.

Next summer (we are under a few feet of snow now ... and summer does
look far away!) I will be going to a "computer yeast genome" meeting
in Europe, I will ask the organizer of that meeting if I can do an
additional talk on bionet.  (this organizer happens to read this group
... so maybe I won't have to _ask_ him! :).

Maybe Dave should prepare us a "this is how I sell BIOSCI/bionet"
package?  For those of us who want to go on the road for him!

>We all get a lot out of the network; perhaps now is a great time to
>take ten minutes and give something back.

>P.S. - in line with the upcoming Clinton speech tonight:  "Ask not
>what your network can do for you ... ask what you can do for your
>network!"

yes!

regards,

francis