How does an innocent scientist learn that bionet exists?

Bruce Roe broe at aardvark.ucs.uoknor.edu
Sun Feb 21 09:35:00 EST 1993

In article <francis.730229025 at monod>, francis at monod.Biol.McGill.CA (Francis Ouellette) writes...
>masuda at fcs280b.ncifcrf.gov (Michiaki Masuda) writes:

	<stuff deleted>

	The one thought that we had here was to set up a local news group,
we called it OUGCG.general (for Oklahoma University Genetic Computer Group)
and then TRY to get all ca. 200 users to read the UseNet News via VNEWS
on the VAX.  I think getting people to read the UseNet News in general is
a difficult task unless they feel they can gain important info from it and
it is easy to use.  For those on ether-netted Macs, we've installed one
of the Mac-based news readers and pointed it to our VAX.
	Thus, if they would just read our local news group once a week,
and get info regarding seminars, meetings, etc, then maybe they will go
on to read the BioNet groups of interest and maybe learn something.
	Talk to your system folks and see if they can put up a local
news group for you.  At least that's one thing we are trying as a start
point and maybe eventually department and university memo's will end up
being posted as well.

Cheers.......bruce
ps. on the other hand, a nice tee shirt might work too.   ;-)