<None>

klier at iscsvax.uni.edu klier at iscsvax.uni.edu
Mon Feb 22 16:34:37 EST 1993

In article <C2uxJ2.Gow at usenet.ucs.indiana.edu>, delwiche at sunflower.bio.indiana.edu (Charles Delwiche) writes:
> In article <1m9mocINNfiq at MACAW.ZOO.CS.YALE.EDU> weed-matthew at cs.yale.edu (Matthew Weed) writes:
>>As a blind student of the life sciences, I know well how important
>>increased availability of texts is.
>
> I would appreciate a discussion of what you find useful, and what you
> (a blind student) find frustrating in biological sciences education.
> ... As a sighted person, biology is to me very much a visual discipline, but
> I'm sure I would be just as interested in the subject if I were blind.
> So the question is, how can I most effectively communicate both the
> information and the fascination to a blind person.

I, too, would be quite interested in any help you can give us in learning
to teach effectively.  I've not taught biology to a totally blind person,
but I had a profoundly visually impaired student in a high school biology
class when I was student teaching.  We could use a heavy magic marker and
overhead projector for most notes and diagrams (the student looked directly
into the overhead, not at the projection), and for complex diagrams, we
made texture diagrams with yarn, sandpaper, foil, etc., glued to cardboard.
But we still had problems when it came to "off the cuff explanations".
I could sketch something quickly for most students, but sometimes the
"finger sketches" I could do in the palm of his hand weren't adequate.

Please, any teaching tips would be welcome.

Kay Klier  Biology Dept  UNI