CALL FOR DISCUSSION: YEAST/bionet.molbio.yeast

Fri Feb 26 18:03:32 EST 1993

We have received a proposal for a new newsgroup, YEAST/bionet.molbio.yeast.

Proposed USENET name: bionet.molbio.yeast
E-mail address: yeast at net.bio.net
                yeast at daresbury.ac.uk

Discussion will now be open through 8 March on
BIOFORUM/bionet.general.

Please do not post one-line messages saying only "I am in favor of
such a newsgroup".  We will collect votes later.  The discussion
period is an opportunity for anyone to bring up reservations about the
proposed charter and to propose modifications prior to the vote.  The
discussion leader may submit a revised proposal in light of the
discussion, and the new charter would be included in the call for votes
which will go out on 9 March.

Please be aware that only one vote is counted per e-mail address, so
it is necessary to have your own account in order to vote.  Multiple
votes from the same address are not accepted.  If you are interested
in the following newsgroup, but do not have an e-mail address of your
own, please obtain one from your computer center before the call for
votes is issued.

Proposal to establish YEAST/bionet.molbio.yeast

Discussion leader:  B.F. Francis Ouellette
		    Manager, Yeast Chromosome I & XVI Sequencing Projects
		    Dept of Biology, McGill University,
		    1205 Dr Penfield Ave,
		    Montreal, Qc, Canada
		    H3A 1B1

	Tel: (514) 398-2604
        Fax: (514) 398-2595

	Electronic Mail: francis at monod.biol.mcgill.ca

YEAST/bionet.molbio.yeast charter:

1)  to provide a forum for the exchange and diffusion of information
    concerning yeast people, meetings, symposia, workshops, and positions
    in laboratories (fellowships).

2)  to provide a forum for discussions of scientific nature,
    queries about strains, plasmids, vectors, and yeast genome project
    news.

3)  An "unofficial" platform for discussions on matters dealing with the
    different Yeast Genome Projects in order to facilitate International
    cooperation between the different participating countries..

--

I see YEAST/bionet.molbio.yeast as a facilitator of discussions between
the different members of the yeast community, that is Saccharomyces

I propose to put this group in the bionet.molbio domain of Usenet because
of the emphisis of molecular biology and genetics in this group.
YEAST is a simple and obvious name for the BIOSCI list name.