"Thick fog on Channel; Continent cut off"

omond at embl-heidelberg.de omond at embl-heidelberg.de
Tue Jan 12 10:43:48 EST 1993

*sigh* ... just to warn everyone that e-mail to UK sites serviced
by the infamous nsfnet-relay.ac.uk is bouncing (again) with the stupid
error message

Addressee: xxxx at institute-of-cancer-research.ac.uk (for example)
Remote system's reason for rejecting:

(NAUTH) Bad authorization for address "xxxx at institute-of-cancer-research.ac.uk"
Sender 'netserv at embl-heidelberg.de' not authorized.

When are these guys finally going to fix this problem ?  It's happened
a few times before (admittedly not for a while);  my experience trying
to talk to the people in charge of nsfnet-relay.ac.uk have been VERY
negative.  They don't appear to take e-mail very seriously;

"what ?  we dropped e-mail into the bit bucket ?  Ah, well, let's have
another cup of tea and then go home ..."  (not quite a direct quotation,
but you get the gist)

*sigh* again ...

Roy Omond
System Manager/PostMaster etc. etc.