E. Coli and sickness

apland at mala.bc.ca apland at mala.bc.ca
Wed Jan 27 23:39:29 EST 1993

Hi. I'm a grade 12 biology student.  I am wondering about the effects of E.
Coli bacteria injested through uncooked meat. Recently a young child died and
tens of others have became ill in Washington State after eating uncooked
hamburgers.  The news attributed the illness to E. Coli, but my biology text
says that E.Coli is a harmless bacteria found in the colon.  Does this have
something to do with the high pH in the colon as apposed to the low pH in the
stomach?

Thanks, Shannon