repetitive elements

suter at VAX.MPIZ-KOELN.mpg.d400.de suter at VAX.MPIZ-KOELN.mpg.d400.de
Sun Jul 4 12:02:35 EST 1993

i wrote:

+>+do any of you have references on the following:
+>+
+>+1. what functions do (or can ?) repetitive elements have ? if possible a review
+>+article or an article which shows some data on this.
+>+2. i remember a paper in which breastcancer was associated with a jumping
+>+alu element, do you know the reference ?
+
+So what's the verdict now that we've all thrown references around?  I watched
+my pile settle to the floor, observed it carefully for any additional
+movement, and have to conclude that the only reliable evidence to date is
+that they function in producing spontaneous mutation.  Any thoughts?
+
+Mike

naturally they also function in telomere stabilization, as described by
blackburn, but furthermore, all evidence is rather sketchy, so sketchy
in fact that i doubt that i will include it in my paper. everybody
SPEAKS about involvement in transcription regulation,  but i haven't found
any hard proof...yet (last time i said this, i got hit two days later, though !)
so i will keep on looking, and will report any relevant findings !

cheers,
clemens
Dr. Clemens Suter-Crazzolara, PhD
Max-Planck-Institut fuer Zuechtungsforschung
Abteilung Genetische Grundlagen der Zuechtungsforschung
Carl-von-Linne Weg 10,        D-50829 Koeln, Germany
Tel.xx49.221.5062-221    Fax.-213      e-mail: suter at vax.mpiz-koeln.mpg.d400.de