Amount of RNA in fibroblast cells

Jim Owens jow at helix.nih.gov
Wed Jul 7 11:04:45 EST 1993

In article <21ekg1INNj9g at matt.ksu.ksu.edu> Heidi Lanora Hinkel,
hlhinkel at matt.ksu.ksu.edu writes:
>Does any one have a general number for the amount of RNA in a
>mouse fibroblast cell. I am doing total RNA isolation and
>would like to know if I am in the ballpark for the numbers
>I am getting. Thanks in advance.

This should be a FAQ somewhere.  Anyone know where to look?

Sambrook et al. on page 7.2 say:

"A typical mammalian cell contains about 10^5 micrograms of RNA, 80-85%
of which is rRNA (chiefly 28S, 18S and 5S).  Most of the remaining 15-20%
consists of a variety of low-molecular weight species (tRNAs, small
nuclear RNAs, etc.)...In contrast, mRNA, which makes up between 1% and 5%
of the total cellular RNA, is heterogeneous in both size ...  and
sequence..."

Good luck,

Jim Owens